Thursday, October 1, 2009

A Note of Interest

There was an interesting article in the Daily Herald on September 30 regarding a bribe allegation pointed towards the Steve Clark campaign. [1] You can read the article and come to your own conclusions whether you believe this allegation has merit or is a stretch of the imagination; that is not what I’m here to argue. However, in my opinion, I do find the following line quite comical: “Basically, Allphin said, Curtis said that Turley had told him that Clark told Turley he would benefit if he supported Clark.”

Yet through all of this, I find Curtis’ reaction to this far too coy for political reality, and this event is far too convenient for Curtis to wash his hands clean. Why would I say this? Allow me to give Mr. Curtis the floor in his own words:

I hold to the ideal that it is wrong to play political games. My staff and I would never use the position to bribe or reward those who have helped me personally. I am proud to say I have made no promises to anyone or even hinted that I would appoint someone as an incentive for supporting me.” [2]

This statement was made by Curtis on his campaign website on September 20, 2009, 10-days before this alleged bribery case was brought against Steve Clark. Curtis maintains his innocence, stating that “neither he nor anyone from his campaign contacted the county attorney” even though he “heard of some of these [allegations], and [had] asked about them.” [1] To wrap us, Curtis states “if I wanted to have made this an issue, I’ve had plenty of chances.” [1] Interesting. If John Curtis had heard there may be dirty politics entering the campaign for Provo mayor, why didn’t he do anything about it? What of this accountability to the people as a prospective leader of the community?

In my opinion, I’m not buying Curtis’ story, and he is definitely playing political games. To make such a definitive campaign statement on your website concerning bribery, then to have a direct allegation come against your competitor only a few days later on the same issue goes beyond political convenience. We are now entering the realm of scheming and strategic planning. Curtis may believe he has taken the moral high ground, and regardless of whether these allegations against Steve Clark hold any water whatsoever, Curtis is still the loser in this battle. Why? He fully admitted to hearing of situations which could be deemed inappropriate and did not take action about them. What does this tell us about the type of leader he will be if controversy enters his administration?

Regardless of this, it is a sad milestone for the Provo mayoral race, as dirty politics has now entered the scene. Even if Curtis states he was not involved, I say otherwise. I hand the reward of mud-slinging instigation to John Curtis. Bravo, Mr. Curtis, bravo.

[1] http://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/central/provo/article_dea6a15b-10b9-5af0-81dd-94adb76f611d.html

[2] http://www.johncurtis.org/staffing.html